Thursday, December 13, 2012

2002 Gujarat riots: Dipda Darwaza convicts move HC

Express news service : Ahmedabad, Fri Oct 05 2012, 04:01 hrs
The 22 accused convicted in the 2002 Dipda Darwaza riot case moved the
Gujarat High Court Thursday challenging their sentence awarded by a
trial court.
The designated fast-track court in Mehsana had in July sentenced 21
accused to life imprisonment while then Visnagar police inspector M K
Patel was convicted of dereliction of duty and was sentenced to
one-year imprisonment.
“There are numerous grounds for challenging the lower court’s order.
The basis of conviction found by the court is largely based on IPC
section 307 (attempt to murder) and not IPC 302 (murder) and 120B
(conspiracy). The Special Investigation Team, which investigated the
case, couldn’t find evidence of the people supposed to have been
killed. Therefore, life imprisonment is not reasonable,” said lawyer
Ashish Dagli, who is representing the convicts.
Dagli said the HC has admitted their appeal and the matter is likely
to be heard within a week.
The trial court had acquitted 61 accused in the case, giving them
benefit of doubt while 10 others were set free as there were no
evidence against them. Among those acquitted were Prahalad Gosa, the
then BJP MLA from Visnagar, and MT Patel, the then president of
Visnagar Municipality.
As many as 11 members of a family were killed in the massacre on
February 28, 2002.
Absconding Naroda Patiya convict in net
AHMEDABAD: THE Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the
post-Godhra riots on Thursday arrested Suresh Netalkar alias Suresh
Langda, who had been absconding after being convicted in the Naroda
Patiya massacre case.
An SIT team nabbed Langda from Nadurbar in Maharashtra, sources said.
Langda was convicted for murder, attempt to murder, rape and conspiracy.
ACP (crime) Nirlipt Rai, who led the SIT team that nabbed Langda, said
he was arrested on the orders of the special court, which had issued a
non-bailable warrant against him.
Earlier, on August 31, the police had picked up Bhikha Parmar, who had
furnished the surety for Langda.