Monday, August 6, 2012

Boy’s death shuts Naroda

Crime Branch on Saturday arrested the main accused Krunal Bhatt in
the death of 9-year-old Mayur Thakor on Saturday even as Naroda
observed a bandh to mark his untimely death.
    On Friday evening, Mayur’s father along with the cops left for
Palanpur and took possession of the body. They returned around 3.30 am
on Saturday. The body was first taken to Civil Hospital where a panel
of doctors conducted a post-mortem.
    On the other hand, armed police were stationed outside Mayur’s
house and at the fair which was ordered to be shut yesterday. As many
as 50 cops were specially assigned to guard the fair for fear of
damage to property.
    At 8.40 am, a few hundred people gheraoed Naroda police station.
They threatened not to carry out the last rites of the boy unless all
the accused in the crime were brought to book. Only after top ranking
police officers visited the place and assured the crowd that action
will be taken against the accused, the crowd dispersed. There was some
tension in the area after the crowd halted many AMTS, ST buses and
shared autos, forcing passengers to alight.
    Since morning the shops remained closed after the Naroda
shopkeepers association had decided to observe a day’s bandh. A stream
of visitors came to Mayur’s house to give their condolences.
    At 11.05 am, as soon as Mayur’s body arrived from Civil, the calm
was shattered by the wailing of relatives. The boy’s mom Jyotsna
couldn’t control her emotions and fell unconscious. After 10 minutes,
the body was taken to the Naroda crematorium in a funeral procession.
    Meanwhile, the Crime Branch arrested the organiser of the funfair,
Krunal Bhatt. Crime Branch PI and IO in case B G Vaghela said, “Krunal
Ramesh Bhatt, 28, of Khodiyarnagar-Bapunagar has been organising
funfairs for past six years with his partner, a Kalol resident named
Mishra. Primary interrogation of Bhatt has revealed that after Mayur
received an electric shock, he was still alive. Krunal and Shaukat
immediately moved him into a tent where he soon died around 8.30 pm.
They then hatched a plan to dispose of the body. They called up Mishra
who instructed them to bring the body to Koba circle where Mishra and
another person arrived in a car. They then took the body to Palanpur
and dumped it.”
    Regarding the cause of death, the PI said, “The first post-mortem
took place on June 28, four days after the boy’s death. By the time
the body had decomposed and insects had eaten part of it. On Saturday,
a panel of doctors at Civil took another postmortem on Saturday. The
actual cause of death will be known only after the histopathoogy
report by the panel doctors.”
Another 12-year-old boy who had gone missing on Friday was found from
his uncle’s house in Rajasthan. Suresh Prajapati, a class 7 student in
Naroda, had refused to attend tuitions after his mother threatened to
tell his father. He then left the house saying he was going to play
with friends in the garden, but did not return. A manhunt was launched
at his friends and relatives’ place, but nowhere was his found. A
complaint was filed late in the night at Naroda police statio. On
Saturday the family received a call that Suresh had reached his
uncle’s place in Rajasthan.