Tuesday, July 17, 2012

CBI finally questions Johr

TULSIRAM CASE                                                                                                                           The Senior Cop Is Said To Have Provided Vital Clue

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) achieved a significant breakthrough in the investigations into the fake encounter of Tulsiram Prajapati by recording the statement of senior police officer Geetha Johri. 
Johri is understood to have given vital leads to the probe agency into the murder of the fellow gangster of Sohrabuddin Sheikh. The senior cop, who was on leave till July 1, had failed to turn up even after CBI had issued two summons to her. 
While Johri did not respond to earlier summons, a CBI team finally tracked her down to her residence near Jodhpur in Ahmedabad on Wednesday, where a CBI deputy superintendent managed to record her statement, considered vital to the outcome of the case. The CBI sleuths escorted Johri to an undisclosed location to grill her. Johri is understood to have passed on the blame on her seniors for leading the probe astray. 
However, Johri parried certain crucial questions. The CBI’s investigating officer Sandeep Tamghade will again question her. Tamgadhe, who is probing the Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsiram Prajapati encounters, was in New Delhi on Wednesday to get the chargesheet for the Tulsiram case approved from legal experts of CBI. 
The probe agency is also scheduled to submit a progress report to the Supreme Court on June 30, the day when the probe agency’s time for investigating the Tulsiram case concludes. 
On January 12, 2010, the Supreme Court had slammed Johri’s investigation in the Sohrabuddin case and transferred the probe to the CBI. Johri had been questioned earlier by the CBI in the Sohrabuddin encounter case where she had given a guarded statement on the matter. 
This time, she again reiterated that the compact disc containing phone records of police officials alleged to be involved in the case, which was handed over by the investigating officer Rajnish Rai to the then additional director general of CID-Crime O P Mathur, was missing when the case papers and documents were handed over to her in May 2007. 
Sohrabuddin was killed in an encounter in November 2005 and Tulsiram in December 2006 in police operations closely linked to each other. Johri had two stints investigating the Sohrabuddin case — the second under the supervision of Mathur clearly suspect in the eyes of the apex court.